For Trans Day of Visibility 2016, I thought I’d share some books with trans characters that I have either read and loved, or am looking forward to picking up. Happy reading!
Picture Books: In these books for small kids, I’ve included some about characters who are gender non-conforming, though they may or may not identify (now or ever) as trans. These are books that challenge stereotypes and support letting all kids be their own fabulous selves.
- RED: A CRAYON’S STORY, by Michael Hall
- JACOB’S NEW DRESS, by Sarah Hoffman
- MY PRINCESS BOY, by Cheryl Kilodavis
- I AM JAZZ, by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings
- MORRIS MICKLEWHITE AND THE TANGERINE DRESS, by Christine Baldacchino
- INTRODUCING TEDDY, by Jessica Walton
Middle Grade Novels: I am so happy that we are starting to see books with trans characters for kids this age! There still aren’t many… but it’s a start.
Young Adult: These are mostly recent or soon-to-be-released (though not soon enough!) so I haven’t read them all- but I will! (Side note: Not being able to keep up with all the awesome looking new LGBTQ+ fiction coming out makes me sooooo happy. Believe me, it used to be all too easy to read every single teen novel that even hinted at queerness. But although there are more than there used to be, it’s still a pretty tiny bunch of books– and there are so many more stories to tell.Keep ’em coming, people!)
- LIZARD RADIO, by Pat Schmatz
- FIRST SPRING GRASS FIRE, by Rae Spoon
- IF I WAS YOUR GIRL, by Meredith Russo
- SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN, by Jeff Garvin
- KALEIDOSCOPE SONG, by Sarah Benwell
- WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND, by Robin Talley
NON-FICTION FOR TEENS
If there are other books you love, with trans, non-binary or gender queer characters– books that you think I should read or include here– drop me a line!